Tuesday, November 6, 2018

November Play

As you may know, I have a BS degree in elementary education with a minor in early childhood education.  Early childhood education remains my favorite area and I enjoy spending my days with these 5 and 6 year olds!  There have been many shift and changes in the early childhood education world in my 30 years of teaching.  I'm so happy to say that the importance of "play" has made a great comeback as educators realize, as many of us "oldies" still know, that play is a child's work.  The pictures I'm sharing with you show play in an educational form - the best way for young children to learn!  The playing of games together and learning to get along as well learning number order (TRASH game), and putting shapes into a puzzle (do you have puzzles on your Christmas list for your child?!  You should!!) and using keys (fine motor) to unlock a lock based upon the beginning sound (educational) the possibilities are endless in play as learning.  Block building? Your child may be an architect one day.  Kitchen area?  Your child may be a mommy or a daddy someday.  The stethescope?  Your child may be a doctor or a nurse one day.  The list goes on and on!  Last week in reading, our work was based upon a book about bugs.  So I dug out the bug catchers (yes, a little late in the season!) and we attempted to catch bugs at recess!  In all we do, I try to integrate play-based practices.  More importantly, I work hard to keep a good balance in paper/pencil work and hands-on activities.  And even more importantly, I keep Jesus at the center of our school day!  So whether we are learning about Moses leading the Israelites to the Promised Land, learning about rhyming words or CVC words or sight words, or counting money in math.....our eyes focus and remain on the ONE important things, Jesus our Savior!  Blessings on your week!











No comments:

Post a Comment